Call for applications: Director CRAG
The Centre for Research in Agricultural Genomics (CRAG) is a CERCA Research Institution supported by a consortium of the National Research Council (CSIC), the Catalan Institute of Agrifood Research and Technology (IRTA), the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB), and the University of Barcelona (UB). CRAG is a Center of Excellence focused on fundamental and applied research in plant and farm animal biology, conducting cutting-edge research in the molecular basis of genetic characters of interest in plants and farm animals and in the application of molecular approaches for the breeding of species important for agriculture and food production. CERCA is the public Catalan network of research Institutes (http://cerca.cat).
CRAG is located at the UAB campus in Bellaterra (Barcelona), Catalonia, in dedicated facilities designed for modern plant biology and genomics research. CRAG brings together -under a unified management and operational structure- basic research groups in plant development, physiology, metabolism and genetics; groups in bioinformatics and genomics working on plants and animals; and applied projects developed together with Agbio, Biotech, and Breeding companies. CRAG has been recognized since 2016 with the “Severo Ochoa Center of Excellence” award. The "Severo Ochoa” Program, from the Spanish Government, recognizes Centers that perform cutting-edge research and are among the world's best in their respective areas. CRAG is also a holder of the "Human Resources Excellence in Research" award from the European Commission.
Candidate profile and contact information
CRAG is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women and underrepresented minorities to apply. CRAG is seeking applicants with a distinguished record of scientific excellence, experience and capacity of team management, and the innovative thinking necessary to lead a dynamic organisation. Applicants must have a PhD or comparable degree. He/She should have managed international projects or consortia, in particular European Framework Programme R&D projects. Candidates must have in-depth knowledge about the European/Spanish Scientific environment. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
- PhD or comparable degree in Biosciences.
- Distinguished record of scientific excellence in Biosciences.
- Experience and capacity of team management.
- Research management experience and demonstrated innovative thinking to lead a dynamic organization.
- Knowledge of strategic planning, resource allocation and human resources management.
- Capacity to represent the institute in research, commercial o social environments.
- Experience in managing international research projects. Knowledge of international research programs (H2020, NIH, etc.) will be considered as a value.
- Professional experience in an inter-institutional environment will be considered as a value.
- Positive evaluation in programs of professional excellence in the field of research (ICREA, etc.) will be considered an added value.
- The candidate’s role as a principal investigator of projects funded in competitive calls will be considered an added value.
- The elected candidate will commit to incorporate his/her line and research activity, as well as his/her resources available for execution, in CRAG.
- Ability to develop and execute innovation and transfer projects in the field of biosciences (Responsible Research Innovation (RRI)).
- Advanced level of proficiency in English. Knowledge of Catalan or Spanish will be welcome.
Applicants should send a CV and a cover letter by e-mail to the Director of CERCA, at applicationscerca.cat. Informal inquiries are welcome and may be also addressed to the Director of CERCA. The appointment will be for a period of 4 years, which could be extended up to a maximum of 8 years.
Job description for the position of Director
The director will have the following duties:
- Provide the proposal of scientific vision and strategic goals for CRAG.
- Submit the Centre’s research activities programme and annual operational budget to the members of the Consortium.
- Represent the Centre at official and social events, in coordination with the President and other members of the Consortium.
- Maintain close contact with CERCA and the members of the Consortium in relation to the Centre’s progress.
- Manage, organize and lead the research and innovation activities at CRAG.
- Promote the relationship between the researchers from the different members of the Consortium.
- Maintain CRAG personnel informed about the Center and facilitate their participation in its activities.
- Guarantee financial sustainability and provide for sources of income (competitive funds, private sponsors…).
- Supervising the economic activities and control the human resources management, with direct involvement in those issues related to selection or adscription of research positions.
- Any other functions approved by the Consortium.
The Director will be responsible for:
- Devising a strategic research and institutional plan and monitoring its implementation.
- Presenting the Director’s Report at the Consortium meetings and maintaining informed the members of the Consortium.
- Periodically calling and chairing meetings of the Executive Committee.
- Proposing to the Consortium candidates for membership of the Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) whenever appropriate. Keeping the SAB informed about major changes, and organising its regular meetings.
- Keeping CERCA and Generalitat de Catalunya regularly informed of the Institute’s progress.
- Participating in the periodic CERCA evaluation of CRAG.
- Leading and managing the innovation, generated technology and knowledge transfer strategy and activities related thereof. Defining a model for innovation/translation in CRAG.
- Coordinating periodic scientific assessments of CRAG’s research programmes and core facilities and implementing the SAB recommendations.
- Supervising the financial aspects of budget implementation.
- Negotiating contracts of new group leaders, whenever appropriate.
- Participating in strategic decision-making, such as for strategic alliances with other research institutions or with industry, in line with CRAG’s mission.
Selection of candidates
The Scientific Advisory Board will review all applications and identify 5 to 8 suitable candidates in a ranked list, according to the requirements defined in the call.
An ad hoc Selection Committee will interview all candidates in the ranked list. In the interview, candidates will present their CV and a Future Proposal for CRAG. Each one of the following institutions: CSIC, IRTA, Directorate General for Research, UAB and UB, will designate one member of the Committee. A member of the SAB, selected by the SAB, will also form part of the ad hoc Committee. CERCA will act as Secretary of the Committee, without voice or vote.
The ad hoc Selection Committee will propose a list of three candidates to the Board of Trustees, in a ranked list and with a reasoned report. The Board of Trustees will select and appoint the new CRAG Director
Approximate Calendar (Y:2021)
May 21st Call for applications open
September 1st Application deadline
October 15th List of prioritized candidates by SAB
November 30th Short list of pre-selected candidates chosen by the ad hoc Selection Committee
December 15th Appointment announced