CRAG is an independent research institution engaged in leading-edge basic and applied plant and farm animal sciences. CRAG is established as a Consortium of the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC), Institute of Agrifood Research and Technology (IRTA), Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB), and University of Barcelona (UB). The Center is located at the UAB Campus, and currently hosts approximately 200 members from across the world.
Research Programmes at CRAG make extensive use of genomic technologies and large sets of genetic and genomic data (https://biennialreport2018-2019.cragenomica.es/).
The Center for Research in Agricultural Genomics (CRAG) is looking for a highly qualified and motivated individual for the position of Head of the Communication & Open Science Office.
As Head of the Office, the successful candidate will be responsible for designing, developing and executing the communication, outreach and open science strategies of the Center, with the aim to: strengthen the national and international recognition of the Center, contribute to science education, facilitate fundraising, and comply with the open access mandates. The successful candidate will report to the CRAG Director and will manage the personnel in the Office.
The main tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Develop, implement, and monitor integrated external and internal communication strategies in support of CRAG’s mission and values.
- Manage Press/Media relations and identify new communication opportunities for CRAG. Ensure that web-based communications and social media efforts are on the cutting-edge and help build awareness and support for the Center.
- Explain scientists’ activities and results in a way that shows CRAG´s unique role and its impact on society. Assist researchers in transmitting the results of their research to a variety of publics in the most genuine way, and support them when dealing with the media.
- Write, edit and distribute content for CRAG communication including press releases, social media, dynamic content for CRAG website, the Centre´s biennial report, mailings, etc. Oversee the production of print and online communications material.
- Plan and supervise CRAG’s dissemination tasks in public and privately funded research projects.
- Prepare and manage proposals for obtaining funds for outreach activities at CRAG addressing scientific education and scientific culture.
- Supervise the organization of events and conferences.
- Contribute to enhance the financial resources of the Center by helping facilitate sponsorships and public-private partnerships, or novel avenues such as crowd funding.
- Analyze CRAG’s scientific publications to inform the Centre’s strategy and assist the Direction in the preparation of institutional reports and proposals.
- Promote Open Science in the institution and manage its associated activities.
- Review when necessary CRAG Open Access policies (https://www.cragenomica.es/open-access) to comply with funder’s requirements. Give advice on these issues to the researchers.
- Bachelor’s degree in life sciences. PhD in life science and postdoctoral experience would be an advantage.
- Postgraduate studies in science communication, journalism, or related disciplines.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English, Catalan, and Spanish (native or equivalent).
- Ability to lead teams with people from different backgrounds and to work in a collaborative environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work within an international context
- Strong planning and organizational skills with the ability to prioritize workload and handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to understand scientific messages and effectively transmit them to a variety of different audiences.
- Fluency in social media, web content, multi-media editing programs and similar tools.
- At least 3 years of experience in a Head of a Communication Office in a research Center or Organization of the Life Sciences area. Experience in a CERCA Center would be an advantage.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in Open Science matters in a research Center or Organization would be an advantage.
- Accredited experience in securing competitive funds for outreach or communication projects.
- Experience in leading and supervising people.
We seek a creative person with initiative, empathy, and a “can do” attitude toward resolving unforeseen challenges, capable of effectively leading others and of working collaboratively, self-confident and able to propose and manage new initiatives.
Contract Duration: Permanent position. Salary depending on the candidate’s experience and qualifications.
Hours/week: Full time (37,5 hours/week)
Please submit all the application through CRAG website: https://recruitment.cragenomica.es/
CRAG is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission. All candidates will be considered qualified for the job without restrictions of gender, race, nationality or disability.
Interested candidates must submit the following documents:
- Presentation letter describing past and current positions, motivation, and economic aspirations (2 pages max.)
- Full CV detailing experience and education
- Three references (including email address and phone number)
Deadline: Review of applications will begin on March 11th, 2022, but the position will remain open until filled.